DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> DC Viking: Huck Off Mike

Friday, January 18, 2008

Huck Off Mike

If someone of the disposition to read this blog is following the Republican primaries, I suspect they are doing so in much the same way I do. You sit transfixed in front of you laptop or television and absorb reports of ongoing Republican campaigns with a combination of glee, terror, and stark disbelief.

Glee for the continuing implosion of the Republican party, terror at the prospect that one of these half-wit demagogues might have a chance at the presidency, and disbelief that the country at large has not shouted candidates like Rudy Giuliani and Mike Huckabee off of the national stage.

I’m not going to get started on Giuliani other than to ask a simple question. If I happen to be standing next to my house when it goes up in flames, does that qualify me to be a fire-chief?

Today I want to focus on Mike Huckabee, who is apparently in favor of turning the United States into a theocracy. Huck is against same-sex marriage and legal abortions. No surprise there. He’s a Republican and that’s their bread and butter. The surprise is how he justifies amending the Constitution to outlaw these acts. Huckabee said at a recent campaign event in Michigan:

"What we need to do," he said, "is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than trying to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view of how we treat each other and how we treat the family…it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God."

I’m no expert, but I’m not sure that basing public policy on the living word of God is the best way to go. First of all, who gets to be the arbiter of what the living word of God is? Second, God’s views on the flat tax and free markets have been shown to be highly suspect by a number of reputable economists.

Huckabee's a southern preacher, and he’s got a distinct set of policy ideas, which is fine. The problem is that he has no sound and rational argument for why outlawing same-sex marriage and abortion is sound public policy. He can’t tell people why this will make America a better place. ‘God says so’ stopped being a solid basis for democratic decision making a long time ago. If he can’t summon something more than an arbitrary moral compass to justify his platform, then he needs to go away.

And I think he will. The U.S. is still predominantly a Christian country, but no Christians I know embrace the kind of evangelical governance that Huck supports. While I may not be a Christian, the Christians I know (and who are probably reading this now) have too much decency and too much respect for their God to use him as a political lever and a thinly veiled excuse for bigotry. Outside of a few misguided folk that vote heavily in Republican primaries and are badly in need of a dentist and some diversity training, people of faith don’t go in for this kind of crap.

I for one would love to see Huckabee get the nomination. He might learn something about mainstream Christianity while he was getting beat like a gong.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ElleTeeJay said...

Phenomenal post! You're right...this good, little Catholic girl is reading... and totally agreeing with you.

I'm tired of all these idiots who continue to do their best to give Christianity a bad name. I hate the way people recoil in horror when I tell them I sing at church every Sunday night. I'm tired of being embarrassed to tell people that I'm Catholic because of the assumptions they make about who I am and what I believe. Granted, in many ways, Catholicism has a much more in common with Judaism than with modern American Evangelical Christianity, but that’s another story for another time.

The thing that truly frightens me is this: We live in a country where it is possible for someone like Huck to be a contender...a country where someone whose crackpot beliefs are taken seriously on the national stage and large numbers of people AGREE WITH HIM. It is truly, truly frightening to me that he has been able to get even this far.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home