DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> DC Viking: Belated Favorite Albums of 2007

Monday, January 14, 2008

Belated Favorite Albums of 2007

Because everyone likes top ten lists.

10) Field Music: ‘Tones of Town’ – Unlike most of the music I have in heavy rotation. This album feels like it was made during a different era.

9) The Shins: ‘Wincing the Night Away' – Sounds very different than their previous stuff.

8) Les Savy Fav: ‘Let’s Stay Friends’ – This is the first time I’ve listened to one of their albums from start to finish. I’m still not sure how to pronounce their name, but I can’t stop listening to ‘Rage in the Plague Age’. Any RenFest geeks out there reading this will appreciate it. You know who you are.

7) White Rabbits: ‘Fort Nightly’ – A little bleak, but the unusual hooks…uh…hook me.

6) Arctic Monkeys: ‘Favourite Worst Nightmare’ – I never got caught up in the buzz of their first album, but this record is really catchy. Best line: ‘You used to get it in your fishnets/now you only get it in your night dress’.

5) Radiohead: ‘In Rainbows’ – Me and everyone else on the planet that likes music.

4) The Arcade Fire: ‘Neon Bible’ – Many people thought this was a letdown after their debut album. I actually enjoyed it more. Shows what I know.

3) Okkervil River: ‘The Stage Names’ – Their ballads don’t lose me nearly as much as they did on ‘Black Sheep Boy’ and the rockers display a level of emotion that many indie bands are too cool for.

2) Spoon: ‘Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga’ – Did I like this more than The National? It’s close, but I’m not serious enough to spend a lot of time nitpicking two albums I loved. ‘The Underdog’ was the best pop song I heard this year.

1) The National: ‘Boxer’ – This is one of those soundtrack records. Whenever I’m listening to it when I get off the metro, I feel like I’m in the middle of a city montage scene. Gets a ridiculous amount of play for a record that doesn’t have an upbeat or really rocking track on it. Does this mean I'm becoming melancholy?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Robot Dancers said...

I needed some new music and this was a great list.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Nato said...

You see! This is why we need to live vicariously through you, I've only heard of 2/3rds of these bands! And I listen to the Current! (and I only own one of these)

~Enjoying the three weeks where I am closer to as young as you are.. Nate

2:44 PM  
Blogger DC Viking said...

Glad I could provide some new music.

Which one do you have Nato? I know I've pimped Okkervil River to you before, but I really think you'd like this album. It's got a very Americana vibe to it. I think Spoon would be up your alley, as well.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Nato said...

Yeah, want the Okkervil River.. and Spoon too. Gonna wait until after my b-day like a good boy to buy meself anything. So probably one or both of those. I actually got the Arcade Fire some time last spring or summer. I did a tongue in cheek version of your post on my own cobwebbed page. I might actually get around to using myself. (After all if I give you such grief about blogging, I should walk the walk huh?)

~Nato

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home