DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> DC Viking: Love Shack

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Love Shack

Miss Viking and I are moving in together. We will be cohabitating. Sharing space. Living in sin.

I was prepared to write a seven part series exposing the seamy underbelly of renting in the DC Metro Area. I haven’t been writing with regularity lately, so I was looking forward to a little continuity to keep me moving forward. Like I said, I was prepared to write this series, but events have conspired to eliminate my apartment search as a writing topic.

When I first moved to DC, I must have looked at 12 or 13 apartments and houses. The process was grueling. The geography of my new city was baffling to me, so I would drive around for hours, trying to navigate from one awkward roommate meet’n’greet to the next. By the end of the process I was so exhausted and disillusioned with the rental market and with humanity in general that I was ready to move into the first place that wouldn’t require me to sleep on a bunk below a violent felon. I was remarkably lucky that I wound up in a nice house with friendly roommates.

When Miss Viking accepted a job in Baltimore and we targeted Silver Spring as our likely municipality of residence, I expected a long and dispiriting process of house hunting that would test the bonds of our relationship. I figured this would be entertaining reading. Unfortunately (for you) we spent a grand total of 3 hours house hunting. We looked at two houses and a condo, fell in love with the last house we saw, and begged the leasing agent to hold it until June 1st for us.

Miss Viking is convinced that we’re the ideal renters, and that is why the owner has agreed to keep the house open for a month until my lease is up. Unable to accept our good fortune that easily, I’ve become convinced that there is something more sinister at work here. This house must be the home to some evil spirit, or a vermin infestation, or possibly the neighborhood is some type of Scientology commune. I’m not sure which one would frighten me more. Rats can be exterminated, a demon can be exorcised, but there is no good way to get rid of religious zealots.

I’ll keep you updated; and if anyone knows a good exterminator, ghost buster, or Tom Cruise, let me know.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

HEHEHE - too funny, sugar. Congrats on the co-habitation!

2:24 PM  
Blogger ElleTeeJay said...

Hurray! This is absolutely fantastic! Congrats to you and the lovely Miss Viking. Any summer trips to Minny in the works? The ice people miss you...

2:44 PM  
Blogger Nato said...

Ideal renters? Obviously she's never used the can after you on a Sunday morning!

(Hmm was that too much info? Probably)

Nice image by the way on the infestation.. I instantly pictured 1950's fumigators flushing out b-list celebs from the walls with smoke cans.. "yeah lady, ya got a whole nest a Scientologists in der.. and once they get in.."
[As his boot slams down on Juliette Lewis]

We missed you in the South. But I bet you didn't miss the trip.. we did boring old people stuff. Walking tours, Art Galleries, Matlock reruns. Who am I kidding, we also played Golf, had a 3 hour lunch drinking in Savannah on a porch overlooking the river, watched Buck Rogers pilot, and drank in a hottub... good stuff.

And for that matter, you'll shortly have lots of big days ahead of you. Trips to the Home Depot and Bed Bath and Beyond, busy days.

Wuh pa!

Congrats on surviving the long distance thing. My best to Snuffy.

~Nato

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. We will have to venture out your way to check out this to good to be true abode. Say hello to Miss Viking from all the little people in Minny.

Sarah O.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home