DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> DC Viking: Lessons from the weekend, Saint NCAA Edition

Monday, March 20, 2006

Lessons from the weekend, Saint NCAA Edition


You should learn something new every weekend. This weekend, a weekend filled with college basketball, St. Patrick’s Day, and a visit from Miss Viking; I learned the following things.

- I know nothing about college basketball. In fact, I know less than nothing. If a green space alien crashed his flying saucer into the Earth and in the process sustained a mind liquefying injury he could still fill out an NCAA tourney bracket with more success than I did this year.

- You can go to the bar on drinking holidays and not feel the need to inflict violence on your fellow man. To expand:

St. Patrick’s Day is usually amateur night when it comes to drinking. Being a professional consumer of spirits and hops, I avoid bars as a general rule on St. Paddy’s. If I do go out, I go to a dive bar that is far enough off the beaten track to avoid the influx of idiots that descend on any place that doesn’t appear externally to be out-and-out dangerous. That being said, I spent Paddy’s at a few bars on Capitol Hill this year and was pleasantly surprised by the absence of thrice a year drinkers (Paddy’s, New Year’s, Halloween) spilling their pints down the back of my shirt and hitting me in the face with green beads.

- Men don’t care how idiotic we look a great deal of the time. We’ll happily bring our NCAA tournament brackets to the bar with us, stare intently at them for most of the evening, and then wonder why we didn’t meet any girls.

- Miss Viking is perfectly comfortable ending a bar-going evening at the American Legion post for bourbon and pull tabs. She did need a brief explanation of what a pull tab was, however.

- ‘Da Club’ upstairs at the Hawk and Dove scares me. Not in the, "I’m afraid for my safety", kinda way. It’s more of a, "I weep for our future", deal.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home