DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> DC Viking: This sausage with extra cheese brought to you by the council on family values

Friday, February 10, 2006

This sausage with extra cheese brought to you by the council on family values

It appears that PepsiCo is now in the business of protecting the American Family.

I noticed this non sequitur when I was enjoying my Friday afternoon junk food fix, a deep dish pie from Pizza Hut. I was waiting for the ESPN website and needed something to occupy my short attention span in the 4 seconds it was taking for Bill Simmons to load. Luckily, there was a pizza box sitting on the chair next to me. There, in screaming 56 point font and red lettering were statements like:

-Ask your parents who there favorite teacher was!

-Did you ever win an award or trophy!

-Beg your Dad to pay attention to you!

OK, I made that last one up, but these pizza boxes freak me out a little bit. Are people so loathe to conversate with their families that they need topic suggestions from a pizza box? And if Pizza Hut is going to suggest conversation topics they could at least show some creativity, or at the very least ask an open ended question.

Child: Did you ever win a trophy Mom?

Mom: No.

And they go back to watching 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. Next time you're having pizza with your family try one of these. They are guaranteed to elicit some interesting conversation.

- Bring up uncle Marty's drinking problem.

- Play 'How Many Partners' with the entire family. Guaranteed to end with Dad on the couch.

- "Mom. Dad. I'm gay."

Somehow I'd be a lot more uncomfortable if my family was actually reading questions from the top of the box in order to break the silence. Next to that, talking about the sexual history of my parents doesn't sound nearly as nauseating.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home